Wednesday, June 11, 2008

McCain vs. Obama

The two candidates for each party have finally been decided. Rumors of VP nominees are swirling through the media. And yet, I still feel unsettled with my option, because as a staunch Romney supporter, I swore I'd never vote for John McCain. I fully planned on walking into the voting booth and writing out Mitt Romney's name on the ballot with pride. But after reading statistics about both candidates, and pouring over online articles, I came across this column:

Not since 1972 have we been presented with two such painfully inadequate candidates. When election day came that year, I could not bring myself to vote for either George McGovern or Richard Nixon. I stayed home.

This year, none of us has that luxury. While all sorts of gushing is going on in the media, and posturing is going on in politics, the biggest national sponsor of terrorism in the world-- Iran-- is moving step by step toward building a nuclear bomb....

At a time like this, we do not have the luxury of waiting for our ideal candidate or of indulging our emotions by voting for some third party candidate to show our displeasure-- at the cost of putting someone in the White House who is not up to the job.

Senator John McCain has been criticized in this column many times. But, when all is said and done, Senator McCain has not spent decades aiding and abetting people who hate America.

On the contrary, he has paid a huge price for resisting our enemies, even when they held him prisoner and tortured him. The choice between him and Barack Obama should be a no-brainer.

You can read the full article here.


Instead, I think I'll go in and vote for the man I believe can keep America safe for me, my children, and my children's children; Senator McCain.