Thursday, February 7, 2008

Romney visit to church a memorable experience

From - Letters to the Editor

"On Sunday, Jan. 6, as I do every Sunday, I attended the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on Concord Street. It was the Nashua 2nd Ward's fast and testimony meeting. On the first weekend of every month, Mormons traditionally abstain from food for 24 hours, then at the conclusion of this fast we attend our meetings. From the money we save from not eating, we're encouraged to donate generously to the poor among us. This meeting is called a "testimony meeting" because anyone feeling prompted can rise to the podium to speak. It's certainly a unique and sometimes unpredictable meeting.

As Bishop Spenser was welcoming the congregation, I happened to glance behind me. I was astonished to see Mitt Romney and an aide quietly walk in and sit down. I had just watched him on Fox News Sunday minutes before. After the passing of the sacrament, the bishop opened the microphone to the congregation. During this hour-long meeting, about 12 to 15 adults and children spoke. Romney sat through the rest of the meeting and listened graciously. At the conclusion, he walked to the foyer where many greeted him and wished him well.

I will always remember this Sunday's meeting for what did and did not happen. What amazed me was that during the meeting no one, including the bishop, mentioned or made reference to our important visitor. And unlike Mike Huckabee, who was preaching a sermon somewhere in New Hampshire on "Becoming an Army for Christ," Romney chose not to speak but rather chose to simply listen respectfully to the impromptu speakers.

I think this experience is significant for two reasons.

First, it is a good example of how the culture in the Mormon Church clearly respects the separation of religion and politics. Second, I also respect and admire Romney's choice not to arise and address the congregation. His quiet reverence said a lot more about who he is and what he values. He was just one of us. Lastly, as the bread and water was quietly being passed, I couldn't help but glance over at him a time or two. I saw his head bowed, his eyes closed and his hands resting on his lap.

As we sat solemnly amidst the quiet, I wondered what was going on in the mind of someone seeking the highest office in the land. I thought of all the criticism from the media questioning his integrity, calling him a liar and flip-flopper. I thought of Huckabee's campaign manager wishing to kick his teeth in. I thought of vicious attacks on his character from everywhere and wondered how he could and why he would endure such disparagement.

When the meeting was over, I couldn't get near him so I approached his aide, who was standing at the door, and shook his hand. After a few words, he grabbed Romney's arm from behind and said "gotta go." Standing in the way, I moved aside to let Romney by. As he passed, he turned and extended his hand to me, he looked me square in the eye and smiled as I smiled back. And then I knew. I knew exactly how he got his strength and I knew exactly why he was doing this.

Mitt Romney has been blessed with great, great ability and talent. Our nation has critical problems that all seem to be reaching a tipping point at the same time. Consider the coming insolvency of Social Security, our unmanageable $8 trillion debt, the forthcoming economic tests from China and India, the illegal immigration challenge to our sovereignty, the Islamic extremists who want to harm us, our dependency on foreign oil, and the crisis in education and health care.

Have we ever had more of a need for an honest, competent, compassionate, think-out-of-the-box problem solver? Can you honestly say in your heart that any other candidate, or even any other American, is more qualified to lead us through all these challenges? Even if you disagree with some of his political positions, consider what it would mean to America's youth and future if someone of his competence, principles and character occupied the Oval Office.

Certainly, one can look back at the last two administrations and see the consequence of what the lack of competence has meant during the last seven years and what damage the lack of character and principles did during the previous eight.

Mitt Romney is not doing this for himself. He's doing this because we need him to. Our children and grandchildren need him to. He's our last hope if this country is to survive, then thrive, once again. I know the New Hampshire primary is over. I get a feeling though that you'll have a chance to vote for him once again."

Paul Yarmo
Hudson